- Coupled Model Intercomparison Project Phase 6 (CMIP6) data sets.
These data includes all datasets published for 'CMIP6.C4MIP.NOAA-GFDL.GFDL-ESM4' according to the Data Reference Syntax defined as 'mip_era.activity_id.institution_id.source_id.experiment_id.member_id.table_id.variable_id.grid_label.version'.
The model used in climate research named GFDL-ESM4, released in 2018, includes the components:
aerosol: interactive, atmos: GFDL-AM4.1 (Cubed-sphere (c96) - 1 degree nominal horizontal resolution; 360 x 180 longitude/latitude; 49 levels; top level 1 Pa), atmosChem: GFDL-ATMCHEM4.1 (full atmospheric chemistry), land: GFDL-LM4.1, landIce: GFDL-LM4.1, ocean: GFDL-OM4p5 (GFDL-MOM6, tripolar - nominal 0.5 deg; 720 x 576 longitude/latitude; 75 levels; top grid cell 0-2 m), ocnBgchem: GFDL-COBALTv2, seaIce: GFDL-SIM4p5 (GFDL-SIS2.0, tripolar - nominal 0.5 deg; 720 x 576 longitude/latitude; 5 layers; 5 thickness categories).
The model was run by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory, Princeton, NJ 08540, USA (NOAA-GFDL) in native nominal resolutions: aerosol: 100 km, atmos: 100 km, atmosChem: 100 km, land: 100 km, landIce: 100 km, ocean: 50 km, ocnBgchem: 50 km, seaIce: 50 km.
Project: These data have been generated as part of the internationally-coordinated Coupled Model Intercomparison Project Phase 6 (CMIP6; see also GMD Special Issue: http://www.geosci-model-dev.net/special_issue590.html). The simulation data provides a basis for climate research designed to answer fundamental science questions, and the results will undoubtedly be relied on by authors of the Sixth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC-AR6).
CMIP6 is a project coordinated by the Working Group on Coupled Modelling (WGCM) as part of the World Climate Research Programme (WCRP). Phase 6 builds on previous phases executed under the leadership of the Program for Climate Model Diagnosis and Intercomparison (PCMDI) and relies on the Earth System Grid Federation (ESGF) and the Centre for Environmental Data Analysis (CEDA) along with numerous related activities for implementation. The original data is hosted and partially replicated at a federated collection of data nodes, and most of the data relied on by the IPCC is being archived for long-term preservation at the IPCC Data Distribution Centre (IPCC DDC) hosted by World Data Centre for Climate (WDCC) at DKRZ.
The project includes simulations from about 120 global climate models and around 45 institutions and organizations worldwide. - Project website: https://pcmdi.llnl.gov/CMIP6.
- CMIP6.C4MIP.NOAA-GFDL.GFDL-ESM4 (DRS: http://github.com/WCRP-CMIP/CMIP6_CVs)
- Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA 4.0)
- contact, GFDL Climate Model Info (
- Krasting, John P.; Blanton, Chris; McHugh, Colleen; Radhakrishnan, Aparna; John, Jasmin G.; Rand, Kristopher; Nikonov, Serguei; Vahlenkamp, Hans; Zadeh, Niki T.; Dunne, John P.; Shevliakova, Elena; Horowitz, Larry W.; Stock, Charles; Malyshev, Sergey; Ploshay, Jeffrey; Gauthier, Paul PG; Naik, Vaishali; Winton, Michael; Zeng, Yujin (2018). NOAA-GFDL GFDL-ESM4 model output prepared for CMIP6 C4MIP. Version YYYYMMDD.Earth System Grid Federation. https://doi.org/10.22033/ESGF/CMIP6.1405
 Please use the latest dataset version or if not available the latest data download date as version in your data citation.